The Director of Photography (DoP) is a key creative role within MDLBEAST Media, across owned media
and client work. The role will drive forward all video production and visual values and execution of briefs
to deliver growth on the company strategy.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The DoP will work with the producer and director when applicable to execute the executive producer’s
plan for video projects. They will determine what is needed for each project, within budget, and hire the
camera crew, arrange for equipment and buy kit and supplies, before testing the vision is achievable.
The DoP will also work with other departments to coordinate and ensure MDLBEAST executes the best
They will conduct research and preparation including carrying out technical recces of
locations. They will prepare a list of all required camera equipment, including lights, stock,
camera and all accessories etc., for the production office to order. Working with the production Manager
and Coordinate help manage the storage and upkeep of kit and equipment.
The DoP will work with the Producer to coordinate the crew and ensure the production delivers on the
creative vision, including any block through’s. Along with the Producer they will decide on the best
combination of cameras, filters and lenses, as well as where the cameras will be placed, and what the
lighting should be. On larger projects it may be necessary to work with other directors and DoPs. The
Executive producer will sign off the directorial lead on a project by project basis.
The DoP will often also operate a camera during the shoots. At the end of each shooting
day, the DoP should prepare for the following day’s work and check that all special requirements have
been ordered or prepared. They will also view the rushes with the Director/Producer.
● Minimum 5 years’ experience of working on client facing video projects/digital productions
● Possess excellent technical knowledge of all filming and editing equipment and software,
including camera, lighting and post production tools.
● Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud suite of applications
● Have in-depth knowledge of lighting techniques and how to achieve them
● Be flexible and adapt to ideas instantly
● Be able to make good decisions quickly, clearly and confidently
● Possess artistic and creative vision
● Pay precise attention to detail
● Have good colour vision
● Be able to give and accept direction
● Have excellent communication skills
● Be diplomatic and tactful when working with cast, crew and colleagues
● Know about health and safety legislation and procedures. Ensure the company meets its
responsibilities across all shoots.